Speech Logic

Speech Logic
Speech and Language Therapy

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Parents and AV Therapy

Over the years as an educator and speech therapist working with the Deaf/HH, one of the most troubling factors I have experienced is the lack of parental involvement in the educational process, specifically; the speech and language development of their child. I have had the opportunity to work with many parents who are invested in helping their child reach their maximum potential, but there were still many who did not seem to care...even now, with my own practice, I am amazed at how some of the parents of my clients do not feel that they have to do anything.

I wonder why?

I have thought about this for years and I use to question my abilities as a teacher/therapist. Was I doing something wrong? Why did it appear they didn't care? Was I not clear in my delivery of instruction or parent workshops? What was it?

I realized after reflecting upon this question many times, that it wasn't me specifically or the parents...it was both of us. They had to buy into what I was doing or else it was just like Simser said in her article from an unknown author:

Tell me and I will forget
Show me and I may remember
Involve me and I will understand.

If you want to continue to this discussion, please do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment